Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Birthing Story

So here is the way the birth went for me...not too bad I tell you.

July 19th, I went in to the OB/GYN and had her “strip” my membranes.  Basically she separated the cervix from the amniotic sac.  This is supposed to produce prostaglandins to get labor started.  Before she had done that, I was not having any contractions really.  They were so sporadic.  Nothing consistent.  After she did that, they started getting a little more together.  It was about 9:30 at night when they were 10 minutes apart that I told Dallin we needed to go to the hospital to see if I had dilated anymore.  I was at a 3+ when I saw the doctor that morning, so I was thinking that I would be farther.  We got to LDS Hospital at 10 pm and they put me in an L&D room to check everything.  I was put on a monitor for myself and the baby.  They checked and said that I was still at a 3+, 80% effaced and the contractions were 7-8 minutes apart.  I was going to be going home at that point, but the nurse decided to call my doctor.  Dr. Macy told the nurse and me to stay and give me pitocin to speed things along.  The Dr. told the nurse and me that I would just be back in a few hours anyway.  This way I could just labor at the hospital
instead.  That was fine with me, just not Dallin.  He wanted to sleep.  They admitted me and an hour later gave me pitocin to help dilate and move the labor along.  It wasn’t until about 3am that I asked for the epidural.  That is the most amazing drug ever!  After about 15 minutes I couldn’t feel my legs, therefore I couldn’t lift them.  The contractions at that point felt like just pressure more than pain.  The nurse checked me one more time before the epidural and I was at a 4 and still 80%.  So, there I was sleeping, well trying to, with pitocin racing through me and an epidural.  It was 6 am when I woke up and noticed that the contractions had changed; now it felt like something was pushing down.  At about 6:30-7 the new nurse came in and checked me to see where I was.  At that point I was fully dilated to a 10, 100% effaced, and to a plus 1.  Baby was fully in the birth canal and ready to present.  So they called Dr. Macy.  Well, Dr. Macy had the on call come in to break my water and have me start pushing.  He tried to break the water, but no luck so he left and came back 30 minutes later to try again.  That was when he noticed that he broke it last time and that he was poking her head.  He told me that I must not have had a lot of fluid and that it was actually her head he was seeing.  He said “What is that? Oh wet hair, I must have broken it last time.  You must not have had much water.  Let’s start pushing”.  So at about 8 am I started pushing since my OB was still in the shower.  It was 8:30 when Dr. Macy arrived and the “real” pushing started.  Cheryl and Dallin were holding my legs as I bore down to push.  I thought that I didn’t want to watch, but was talked into using the mirror.  It was amazing until I heard a pop and saw my lady area tear…oh crappy.  I had a 2nd degree tear, or half way tear.  It was so crappy, but worth it when they placed her in my arms.  Almost immediately Izzy latched on and started to nurse.  She is an amazing baby.  She was born at 9:04 am, was 6 lbs 14 oz and 20.5 inches long.  Labor was quite easy for me, it was the after that was hard.  Bleeding for 6 weeks and healing from stitches is not fun.  My mother only missed her birth by an hour.  Her flight got in at 10 am that day.  Nana did, however, get to see Izzy when she was only 2 hours old.  On July 22nd, I was released from the hospital and took Izzy home.  I think the hardest part of now having a child is the seclusion you feel afterwards when all dies down.  I love her very much, but I liked going back to work.  Now that I have been back to work, I wish I was with her.


Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment